Whether you’re hosting friends for a BBQ or just looking to soak up the sunshine in peace and quiet with a great drink and a good book, ’tis the season for fun drinks with tiny umbrellas in them. So say I, anyway.
With more and more people looking for non-alcoholic alternatives (+100% in the last year, according to search data shared by Ocado) there’s no better time to delve into some great mocktail recipes that allow you to create and enjoy grown-up drinks without the downsides.
From a calming alcohol-free Rooibos Mocktail to a sweet summery Cherry Float, keep reading for a flavour for everybody to raise a glass with.
This alcohol-free Appeletto Sour has the classic sour-style frothy top included, using apple juice and almond extract instead of liqueur. Top with cherries for a British Bakewell tart-esque treat.
- 120ml cloudy apple juice
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1 egg white or ¼ pack Oggs Aquafaba
- 2 cocktail cherries, to garnish
- Fill a tumbler with ice and set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, add the apple juice, almond extract and egg white, then shake for 20 secs. Strain into the tumbler; garnish with the cherries.
Delivering the rich and sweet flavours of a classic British Bakewell Tart, this Cherry Float Mocktail uses cherry soda and almond syrup to give a big flavour finish.
- 200g frozen pitted cherries
- 2 x 330ml cans cherry soda (Ocado suggest Dalston’s Cherry)
- 50ml almond syrup (Ocado suggest Giffard Orgeat Almond Syrup)
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream (optional)
- 4 fresh cherries
- Put the frozen cherries, cherry soda and almond syrup into a blender with a large handful of ice; blitz until smooth.
- Serve in glasses with the vanilla ice cream and a cherry, if using.
Negroni’s are known for being deliciously bitter and boozy. However, this non-alcoholic version is warming and complex with a soft bitter-sweetness that any garden party guests will love.
- 25ml Seedlip spice 94
- 25ml Aecorn aromatic
- 25ml Aecorn bitter
- 1 orange peel, for garnish
- Add ice to a rocks glass.
- Mix 25ml of Seedlip Spice 94, 25ml of Aecorn Aromatic and 25ml of Aecorn bitter and stir.
- Garnish with orange peel.
For a summery iced tea mocktail with a sweet honey aftertaste, this calming rooibos recipe is a great option to sit back and relax with.
- 1 rooibos teabag
- 2 tbsp honey or vegan honea
- 50ml water
- 150ml tonic water
- Infuse the teabag and honey/honea in 50ml hot water for 10 mins.
- Strain into a glass of ice. Top with tonic and garnish with a clove-studded lemon wedge.
Thank you to Ocado for sharing these recipes! Click on the names of each drink to head over to the Ocado site and grab everything you need to make these at home.
For more non-alcoholic drink inspiration, check out my review of Three Spirit’s brilliant spirit alternatives.